A medal in honor of a great architect 22.08.2019
On September 16, 2019 it will be 100 years since the day of death of Alfred Parland, a great Saint Petersburg architect. In memory of the architect, the Saint Petersburg Mint – Branch of Goznak has struck a commemorative medal “ARCHITECT A. PARLAND” under the order of the State Museum St. Isaac’s Cathedral.
Alfred Parland was born in Saint Petersburg on December 12, 1842. In 1862, he entered the Imperial Academy of Arts. He was awarded with five medals for his success in drawing and architecture while studying there. After the completion of the academic course in 1871, he received a big gold medal for his project of a cathedral at an Orthodox cemetery.
Right after the graduation from the Academy, the young architect was entrusted with building the Resurrection Church in the Holy Trinity St. Sergius Maritime Men's Deserts not far from Saint Petersburg. The church construction in the Byzantine style was carried out according to Parland’s project.
At the end of the 19th – the beginning of the 20th century, unbelievably beautiful stone buildings were erected all over Russia. However, the main work of Parland’s life was an architectural masterpiece in the center of Saint Petersburg – the Resurrection Cathedral, or the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, as the Petersburgers call it.
He gave more than 20 years of his life to this construction; he was its architect, engineer, constructor and decorator. The unique monument has become an architectural landmark of the city, and the name of Alfred Parland will remain in the history of the Russian and world architecture for ever.
The medal dedicated to the great architect has been the fourth order of the State Museum St. Isaac’s Cathedral placed at Goznak. The previous commemorative medals were dedicated to the Smolny, St. Sampson’s and St. Isaac’s Cathedrals.
The author of the medal sketch and its voluminous images was Fedor Andronov, an artist of the Design Center of Goznak.
On one side of the medal, there is a portrait of Alfred Parland against the black background, with a circumscription, “ARCHITECT A.A. PARLAND” and the dates of birth and death of the architect. On the back side of the medal, the Resurrection Cathedral is depicted against the black background and with a circumscription “CHURCH OF THE SAVIOR ON SPILLED BLOOD. SAINT PETERSBURG”.
The medal has been struck in “proof-like” quality of tomback, with the diameter of 60 mm.
The issue of the “ARCHITECT A.A. PARLAND” has been timed to coincide with “The Year of Parland” exhibition. The commemorative medal has been struck in the number of 200 pieces only. The medals will be given to specialists at events dedicated to the exhibition.